Unless it’s for groceries, I’m not a list person. I’m a sticky note kinda gal. These then would be my top 5 sticky notes for Books, Authors and Series.
Top Five Favourite Books
These are my ‘comfort novels’: the literary equivalent for me of rice pudding.
- Tam Lin by Pamela Dean
- Howl’s Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones
- The China Garden by Liz Berry
- Persuasion by Jane Austen
- The Ordinary Princess by M.M. Kaye
Top Five Favourite Authors
These are the writers I most admire for their turn of phrase, plotting, characterisation and sheer ability to tell a story.
Top Five Series
Sometimes a good yarn needs more than one book. These might not be the best I’ve read but they’re the ones I keep going back to.
- Mordant’s Need by Stephen Donaldson
- Wee Free Men quartet by Terry Pratchett
- Last Herald Mage trilogy by Mercedes Lackey
- Song of the Lioness by Tamora Pierce
- Songs from the Seashell Archives by Elizabeth Scarborough
Top New Stuff
The problem with favourites, of course, is that it predisposes you to the ones you’ve liked for a long time. The new stuff I’ve been hooked on lately include: